Welcome to the Grand Valley State University Oboe Studio webpage, where you can learn about music programs, current students and exciting double reed projects and events at GVSU.
Grand Valley State University’s environment is rooted in a broad liberal education. The GVSU Music Department specializes in undergraduate studies, offering degrees in Music Performance (B.M.), Music Education (B.M.E), and Bachelor of Arts (B.A). Students can also Minor in music, or choose to join university ensembles as Participants. Outstandingly gifted students are encouraged to audition for Performance Honors, earning hour private lessons with GVSU’s faculty. A wide array of music ensembles is available for students, including Symphonic Wind Ensemble, Symphony Orchestra, Concert Band, and Marching Band. Students are also strongly encouraged to form Small Chamber Ensembles (woodwind quintets, trios, etc.). This year, Mu Alpha Chapter of Sigma Alpha Iota sponsored the 1st Annual Small Ensemble Competition open to GVSU ensembles.
In addition to talent scholarships, GVSU offers variety of scholarships for incoming students. For more information about scholarships visit you can visit the Music Department webpage.
Lessons, studios, reed making, and master classes
In addition to weekly lessons, all students meet for studio classes in the Sherman Van Solkema Recital Hall on Tuesdays at 2pm, and for reed making classes at the GVSU Reed Making Room on Thursdays at 2pm.
In the past we had wonderful guest artists perform and present master classes on the GVSU campus.
• John Dee, University of Illinois
• Andrea Fedele, St. Cloud State University
• Michele Fiala, Ohio University
• Geralyn Giovannetti, Brigham Young University
• Scott Hostetler, Chicago Symphony
• Celeste Johnson, Oklahoma State University
• Nancy Ambrose King, University of Michigan
• Andrea Ridilla, Miami University
• Alison Robuck, Bradley University
• Martin Schuring, Arizona State University
• Dan Stolper, Interlochen Arts Academy and Interlochen Arts Camp
• Kelly Vaneman, Converse College
• Allan Vogel, Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra and California Institute of the Arts
Oboe Events at GVSU 2013
• November 16 - Double Reed Day
Oboe Studio 2012-2013
• Emily Hurst (B.M.E. – Freshman)
• Ashley Garett (Minor – Freshman)
• Jana Zilova (B.M. – Freshman)
• Richard Arndorfer (B.M.E. – Sophomore)
• Alissa Ford (B.M.E. – Sophomore)
• Julia Gjebic (B.A. – Sophomore)
• Victoria Tillman (B.M. – Junior)
• Kelsey Wilcox (B.M.E. – Junior)
• Cassandra Negron (B.A. – Senior)
• Alexandra (Ren) Renny (B.M. – Senior)
General Admissions and Music Auditions
To schedule your audition, click HERE
To apply to Grand Valley State University, click HERE
To be considered for a talent scholarship, it is recommended that students audition before March.
Students are encouraged to schedule an oboe lesson with Dr. Vavrikova prior to their audition. In addition to a complimentary private lesson, students can visit one of the studio or reed making classes, sit in on an ensemble rehearsal or music classes, and speak with students and faculty about GVSU’s music programs. To schedule a lesson with Dr. Vavrikova, click HERE, or call (616) 331-2999
GVSU Double Reed Studio on Facebook!
Double Reed Days on Facebook!
Oboe Studio Guidelines
Double Reed Day
OBOE STUDIO PHOTOS