Welcome to the Grand Valley State University Oboe Studio webpage, where you can learn about music programs, current students and exciting double reed projects and events at GVSU.
Grand Valley State University’s environment is rooted in a broad liberal education. The GVSU Music Department specializes in undergraduate studies, offering degrees in Music Performance (B.M.), Music Education (B.M.E), and Bachelor of Arts (B.A).
Students can also Minor in music, or choose to join university ensembles as Participants. Outstandingly gifted students are encouraged to audition for Performance Honors, earning hour private lessons with GVSU’s faculty.
A wide array of music ensembles is available for students, including Symphonic Wind Ensemble, Symphony Orchestra, Concert Band, and Marching Band. Students are also strongly encouraged to form Small Chamber Ensembles (woodwind quintets, trios, etc.).
In addition to music scholarships, GVSU offers a variety of scholarships for incoming students. For more information visit the Department of Music and Dance webpage.
LESSONS, STUDIOS, REED MAKING
In addition to weekly lessons, all students meet for studio classes in the Sherman Van Solkema Recital Hall on Tuesdays at 2pm, and for reed making classes at the GVSU Reed Making Room on Thursdays at 2pm.
In the past we had wonderful guest artists perform and present master classes on the GVSU campus.
• John Dee, University of Illinois
• Stephen Caplan, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
• Andrea Fedele, St. Cloud State University
• Michele Fiala, Ohio University
• Geralyn Giovannetti, Brigham Young University
• Scott Hostetler, Chicago Symphony
• Celeste Johnson, Oklahoma State University
• Nancy Ambrose King, University of Michigan
• Andrea Ridilla, Miami University
• Alison Robuck, Bradley University
• Martin Schuring, Arizona State University
• Robert Sorton, Ohio State University
• Dan Stolper, Interlochen Arts Academy and Interlochen Arts Camp
• Kelly Vaneman, Converse College
• Allan Vogel, Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra and California Institute of the Arts
OBOE STUDIO 2013-2014
• Lauren Holub (Minor)
GENERAL ADMISSIONS AND MUSIC AUDITIONS
• Jana Zilova (B.M.)
• Richard Arndorfer (B.A. - Performance Honors)
• Alissa Ford (B.M.E.)
• Julia Gjebic (B.A. - Performance Honors)
• Kelsey Wilcox (B.A.)
To schedule your audition, click HERE
To apply to Grand Valley State University, click HERE
To be considered for a music scholarship, it is recommended that students audition by mid March at the latest. Students are encouraged to schedule an oboe lesson with Dr. Vavrikova prior to their audition. In addition they can visit one of the studio or reed making classes, sit in on an ensemble rehearsal or music classes, and speak with students and faculty about GVSU’s music programs.
To schedule a lesson with Dr. Vavrikova, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (616) 331-2999.
For Current Students: Orchestral Excerpts 2014
Double Reed Days on Facebook!
Double Reed Day
OBOE STUDIO PHOTOS